Dust mites are microscopic relatives of the spider that thrive on flakes of dead skin. Along with the dead skin we shed daily, our mattress with its warm and moist environment is a playground for them. Now unfortunately, no matter how clean the home is, dust mites cannot be totally eradicated. We can however take steps to reduce their numbers.Leaving the bed unmade, at least to allow the dampness to dry out is a big one.
Other helpful strategies:
- Use a dehumidifier or air condition in bedroom..relative humidity below 50% is best
- Use mattress and pillow encasements
- Use synthetic vs. feathered or wool covers
- Use hot water to wash sheets and blankets weekly, once a month place pillows and non-washable in freezer overnight
- If possible refrain from having wall to wall carpeting in the bedroom...if you do have carpeting always use a vacuum with HEPATITIS filter
- Use damp clothes when dustingn