Most muscle cramps will resolve on their own but there are some instances where you may want to consult with your physician. These include
- The cramp causes severe discomfort
- The cramp is associated with leg swelling, redness or skin changes
- If you are experiencing muscle weakness
- Cramps occur frequently
- You have no improvement with self-care
- Cramps are not associated with an obvious cause
Always try to remain well hydrated, especially during exercise and warm weather. Read more about Home Remedies for Muscle Cramps.
As always if you are under the care of a physician for a chronic medical condition or are taking medications, confer with him/her before using any of the above home remedies.