According to the Centers for Disease Control, 50,000 people are hospitalized each year, and 430 die from carbon monoxide. Drivers suffering from carbon monoxide intoxication think slow and irrational, become confused and are not able to safely operate a motor vehicle. Within minutes of exposure, severe neurological damage can occur. Since carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless by the time you feel its' effects it may be too late.
There are recommendations to help avoid vehicular carbon monoxide exposure:
- Include periodic exhaust system checks and never operate a car with a defective exhaust system.
- Maintain the suggested vehicle maintenance scheduling to maintain a tuned engine and emission system
- Avoid driving your vehicle with the trunk lid or rear tailgate open.
- Avoid driving a vehicle with holes in the car body.
- Never allow children to ride under a topper on a pick-up truck.
- Avoid warming the car in a garage
- During snow storms...before starting the engine be sure the exhaust tail pipe is free of packed snow covering it
- Consider investing in a car carbon monoxide detector designed for use in a vehicle
Post a Comment